47495 Rheinberg, Germany
+49 2843 90706-0
Centuries ago there was only one street though the town now known as Rheinberg. This thoroughfare, from Xanten Gate to Orsoy Gate, led directly past the market where people could buy fish caught in local waters.
This site was first called “fish market” at the end of the 18th century, when a building was constructed to separate the fish market from the markets for wood and other goods. This building was demolished in the 1960s so today the market places are together again.
The Hotel Am Fischmarkt was created from the row of heritage buildings facing this historic fish market. These buildings date from as early as the 15th century, and their original facades have been preserved and integrated into the hotel conversion. The groined vaulting of the Ratskeller restaurant is a feature which dates back to 1644.
Work started on demolishing the interior and rear of the buildings in the summer of 2013, but retaining the listed facades and vaulted cellars. In November of that year structural renovation work commenced, and the topping off ceremony was celebrated a year later. The second stage of the building work, including the lobby and reception areas, got underway at the beginning of 2015, and the Hotel Am Fischmarkt was opened later that year.